who,what,why....whatever!

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The River Thames

I love the River Thames, well all rivers I guess (except some parts of the River Severn, where is not so much river than thick mud) But there is something about the River Thames. As it meanders through the various counties it attracts a diverse array of visitors. All of which makes for fantastic people watching. That is how I spend my time. I take a book, sometimes I read, sometimes I write and other times I just watch.

The pace of life seems different down by the river, people make eye contact and acknowledge each other as you pass on the towpaths. Strangers even talk to you. I don't mean a cursory "morning" I mean proper conversations.

So today I decided to go for a walk, donned my shorts, rucksack etc (Tshirt, socks, shoes, even underwear!!) and headed off, mentally tossed a coin (Henley won). Got there for about half 9, walked about 50paces and encountered the friendliness that is the river Thames. So 15mins later after a lengthy discussion with 2 elderly men about Boris Johnson and racism in the UK (obviously talking about the weather is now passe, plus one was Australian so obviously had little interest in the weather) I continued for another half hr. Stopped for quick read (for the first time in 2 weeks I was not reading erotica) and returned.

...(Incidently the penchant for reading erotica is less of a penchant more of an obligation, as suggested as a book club book. Though having said that I now rave about the book and would recommend it to anyone to help them break away from their normal genres, ok well maybe not elderly ladies!).....

Anyway, back to the Thames. On the return leg now feeling partially innorgorated into the River Thames Towpath gang I stopped again to continue the discussion. Passing comment on the neatness of the boat pensioner number 1 was painting (as in the actual boat, not art) I was offered a drink and the conversation continued. Somehow got onto groundsheets (well bearing in mind by this point I had already discussed current affairs, it seemed a natural progression). Pensioner number 1 mentioned he had one he'd never used, so after much polite muttering about how much would he like for it etc it was foisted upon me, with protestations that it would make the boat less cluttered!

Maybe it's the sun, but I doubt it. There is something liberating about the River. I very much doubt that the high street would ever bear witness to such exchanges between total strangers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home