who,what,why....whatever!

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Libraries and nostalgia

Have you ever revisited a place you haven't been to for years and almost felt yourself be transported back in time? I don't mean Dr Who-esque, but just being a slave to your senses, smells, sights, sounds. They can all evoke the strongest of emotions.

The place this happened to me? my local library. You reach an age where libraries no longer seem to serve a purpose. Supermarkets provide a glut of cheap books. (I love the guilty thrill I get of throwing in a book with the weekly shop - or is that just me!?!) and the internet, well the internet can answer pretty much any question you may have.

As an avid reader for as long as I can remember, libraries were central to my childhood. Struggling to the counter carrying as many books as my tickets would allow. (These were the days where you had a handful of tickets as opposed to a solitary card). I can still remember the excitement I'd feel if I was the first person to take out a book and get the first stamp in it. The days when Famous Five books were in hardback.

Even into adulthood, libraries were still central to my life. Though at university as the textbooks got bigger the struggle got harder and numerous rucksack straps broke under the strain of various tomes of anatomy being shoved into them.

As I eventually dragged myself away from the role of eternal student, to that of responsible, tax paying citizen libraries began to become a distant memory and I missed them.
In the many hours I've spent in them I've flirted (I go for the nerdy look!!), written, daydreamed, people watched, had the odd illicit kiss and of course studied.

So how did I find the library 2006? Well in a strange way, little had changed. The smell was the same, as was the sense of tranquility. But much to my amusement so also appeared to be the choice of authors. As I wandered around the shelves the same names leapt out at me as they had done many years ago. I'm glad I've rejoined. The internet is revolutionary as is
www.amazon.co.uk. But there are times where you just need to touch the books and wander around aimlessly, fervently hoping you'll happen upon a new author.

What I do now as I pass time in the library? - simple, just picture my novel there! Plus maybe look for the odd book on archery!

3 Comments:

At 5:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your be pleased to know this blog has resulted in a prolonged debate in the office ;) about Olympic sports of course!

 
At 2:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Good job. Go on.
»

 
At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home