who,what,why....whatever!

Sunday, November 05, 2006

A short story

Remember me? It’s a silly question I know, after all I see you every day.

It’s funny how you can spend so much time with someone and yet worry they have forgotten the essence of who you are. Are you remembering me when I see you hour upon hour, lying there statue like, your eyes staring blankly ahead into a void of darkness? I like to think in these moments you are trying to reach out to me, responding to my presence. I long to hear your laugh. It’s still there in my mind, but I am so scared one day it won’t be there for me. Memories are precious, they are all I have.

You’ve changed of course, it’s inevitable. You’re a lot quieter now. Of course I know the truth, they tell me often enough. Apparently it’s how it’s meant to feel. To be expected they say. I think these words are meant to be a balm for the soul.

I haven’t changed. I am still me. I still have all those annoying little habits that you patiently endured out of love. Now I am aware of them, these annoying habits have become my link to you. Can you hear me sniffing? I’ve lost my handkerchief, again.

I remember that day everything changed and you left me. I expect you remember it too. The driver wasn’t really to blame, I know they said in the inquest he was going too fast, possibly he was. I’ve talked to him you know, he’s a nice man who misses his wife as I miss you. He says he didn’t see the dog until the last moment and swerved from its path instinctively. Sadly it was our path he swerved into.

Who knows the hand fate deals? I tried to come back to you. I fought so hard, but they wouldn’t let me. I was with you through all your stay in hospital, I was there waiting for you when they discharged you. Remember how you noticed the kettle seemed warm, that was me. I am with you always, maybe not in body, but the most precious part of me, my love and essence will remain by your side always. Apparently it was just my time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home