who,what,why....whatever!

Monday, November 06, 2006

Flood alert!

I occasionally rant about my job, there are moments I love it and moments I am truly exasperated by it. Spurred on by the writing of Stephen King, who says write about your job I have come to the realisation that some of these tales are actually quite amusing.... and in some cases so farcical you just couldn't make them up.

I do sometimes wish I worked in an office,this morning was a prime example. Walking through the front door into the clinic at 6:45am to be met by 3 inches of water lapping at my feet I felt very passionately that my destiny was to work in an office.

I can pretty much guarantee that you do not splash as you walk into the office. If you're wondering, I work as a nurse and 3 inches of water is not the norm!!

At 8:45am I stood and surveyed the distaster zone. An amusing mix of clinical efficiency and aesthetic chaos. The floor a mosaic of squashed cardboard boxes and nigh on 100 blankets. Incidently, water sodden blankets weigh a lot, as my aching back will testify.

Nursing is a funny thing, by lunchtime my back had progressed to screaming, my trousers were rolled up to my knees and my feet squelched with every step. I had additionally taken on an alluring musty smell that would stay with me for the rest of the day.

Of course if I had an office job I would undoubtably not have to endure this bizarre multi tasking that comes with every shift, regardless of h20 intervention, but nursing is like that. It drains you to your very marrow, but at the same time is curiously addictive.

Incidently the source of the flood remains a mystery.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home